This cartridge was adopted in 1871 by the British military for use in the Martini-Henry single shot falling block rifles. Like the Snider it was originally a coiled brass case which after a few years was changed to the drawn type. It was also a popular sporting round which has been loaded with both black and smokeless powder.
This text is based on information from “Cartridges of the
World”, Hodgdon reloading manual, the cartridge designer and/or